Fairfax, Va.- January 2012 saw a 17% decrease in line of duty deaths compared to the same period in 2011. However, with only one month of data, it is impossible to determine how this trend will hold for the remainder of the year.
Most notably, during this time period:
- There were 15 law enforcement officer (LEO) deaths
- Gunfire deaths dropped 30%
- Two LEOs were stabbed to death
- Four fatalities, or 30% of the total, were female LEOs
- Puerto Rico had the most deaths, with two fatalities
The following charts are provided for reference and can be incorporated into any law enforcement training material, provided that ODMP is cited as the source.
Law Enforcement Deaths by State in January 2012
Not displayed: Puerto Rico had two (2) deaths
Comparison of Law Enforcement Deaths, January 2011 vs January 2012
Causes of Law Enforcement Deaths in January 2012
The data provided in this report is preliminary and subject to change based on final determinations of line of duty deaths.